After motherboard failure of Aurora, and the discovery that finding a suitable replacement would be near-impossible, I decided the time had come to build a new PC for myself…
Time had come to replace Cobalt, which after 5 years of service had a motherboard failure. My good friend EJ wanted to go bleeding-edge, top-of-the-line. Who am I to say no to such an opportunity?
My friend Jill needed a new PC, and she wasn’t happy with previous Dell and HP experiences, so she decided to have me build her new budget PC.
The time had arrived to replace Red Racer, my brother-in-law’s old PC. The motherboard in his old rig was shot. Steve wanted more power (insert Tim Allen grunts). With that in mind, and a well-defined budget, project Blackbird began.
With the addition of Aurora, my old PC had been relegated to use as a backup computer. Recently, for my business I purchased an HP TouchSmart 600 PC, so Area 51 was no longer needed. Knowing that my brother-in-law Mike has a very slow old Dell machine, I offered this PC to him. The problem was it wouldn’t fit in his desk, SO…
The replacement for Area 51 as my work/play PC is Aurora. This workhorse was built on a budget, and is based on the large, well-built Antec p190 +1200 case.
A new website featuring Simulation-Based Training technology created by myself is now online. Give it a try and let me know what you think! This application has been completely re-written, and is now fully cross-browser compatible (tested in Internet Explorer 6/7/8, Firefox, Safari, Chrome and Opera). It also features a complete learning management system with quizzes, exams, certificates and an administrative login. The 3D rendering used in the sample simulaton was created by my associate and good friend Mr. Gary Gilbert.
In the past year, I have had my D-Link DGL-4300 gaming router lock up many times… a few weeks ago, it got to the point where it would go out several times a day.
When touching the top of the router, the plastic was extremely hot… so I figured it was overheating. That would explain why I had to unplug it for 10 minutes and then do a reset to factory settings when plugging it back in to get it to work.
Read the full article to see more about this mod…
This Dell PC was donated to me. Although missing some critical parts, I placed spare parts in it, and got the machine to run nicely. It replaced my youngest daughter’s PC that was on its’ last leg. This machine was a Pentium III 733MHz machine with 256MB of memory, no hard-drive, no LAN or modem card, no sound card, no drives at all.
My goal was to upgrade the CPU to 1GHz, max out the memory, upgrade the graphics, and really make this system purr. Of course, this is another opportunity to mod a case as well.
Since I have become more knowledgeable about building PC’s and Case-modding, I wanted to create a heavily modded PC with a mean look to it.
This opportunity came along when I was given an old Pentium 2 Gateway system. Obviously it couldn’t be upgraded, so the case was gutted and a new project began.
Read the full article to find out more…
Plasma was my first attempt at a “budget” PC. The stock case is made of a thin steel. The case is also small in size, accepting only MicroATX motherboards, and only weighs 5.5 pounds.
My goal was to stay budget-concsious, yet create a very different-looking PC. The case features a sliding and retracting door as well as a unique large orb for the power and hard-drive activity LED’s.
It looked quite futuristic as it came from the manufacturer, and for the price of $35, it’s an excellent value, but of course, I couldn’t leave it like this… Time to mod!
This project was to build a moderately priced gaming system for my Brother in-law, who is a racing fan.
A flashy bright-red case with racing stickers/logos was the goal.
Fortunately a case fitting the bill was already available on the market. The question was… would the case provide good airflow, and still be quiet?
Of coure not! Read on to see how this case was modded…
This computer was built for my best friend EJ. He wanted a gaming machine with the ability to capture video and burn DVD’s.
The case is an Antec Super LanBoy. A light-weight aluminum case with large fans at the front and rear of the case for good air flow. The side of the case came with a window already installed. Since this case is designed for gamers that attend LAN parties, it even came with a carrying harness.
My goals in this project were to deliver high-end capabilities without costing too much as well as provide cooling and a little “flash”.
My first self-built PC, named Area 51, as well as my first modified (or modded) PC case. Area 51 has since been
replaced, but is still in use. Look for an updated article as I plan to eventually enhance this machine…
The case is a Yeoung Yang Black Cube server case. Made of steel. The case side had already been modified to have a
window and fan on it. The excellent window work was done by mnpctech.com for
a very reasonable price. The case had very poor air flow. Since many components ran hot, cooling was a priority.
Especially the graphics card and CPU. The system was running with too many noisy small fans, and not in the right locations.
My goals were:
- Improved air-flow using better placed, larger fans that can move more air at lower speeds (thus producing less noise).
- Quieter operation. Hard drive noise and fan noise were issues.
- Front USB ports needed to be added.